Thursday 11 August 2011

My 3 day spilt!

As I’m working out this time around I thought it would be best if I posted my routine for the next 4 weeks.




It’s a simple 3 day spilt which looks like this:

Monday: Chest and Triceps

· Flat bench press

· Cable cross over

· Incline bench press

· Decline bench press 


· Rope pull downs

· E-Z bar push downs

· Reverse grip (thumbs behind bar) push downs

Wednesday: Shoulders and Leg

· Military press

· Lateral DB raises

· Bent over DB flyes

· Shrugs


· Leg press

· Leg extension

· Leg curls

· Calf raises

Friday: Back and Biceps

· Wide grip pull-ups

· Pull downs

· Low rows


· Standing barbell curls

· Hammer curls

· Alternating DB curls



I do 4 sets of 8 for everything to which I try and lift as heavy as I can or pick a weight so on the 8th rep I’m really struggling!

I also do abdominal work on these days which normally includes weight crunches and hanging knee raises, normally 3 sets of 20 does the trick and if your engaging your abs properly you will feel everyone you do!

I'm aware some people will look at the above and not have a clue what I’m about; I will try and post pictures when I get a chance so people will have a better idea!


Just a few tips now regarding lifting weights:

· Breathe! (Too many people hold their breath when they lift weights thinking it’s going to help them and it actually prevents you from lifting at your full potential. When you lift the weights exhale and when you lower them inhale! It’s as simple as that! Also if you holding your breath and your really pushing yourself something called blood pooling can happen which restricts the blood to your brain and can cause passing out etc)



· Maintain your form! (For example, if you’re doing a bicep curl and you start arching your back to lift the weight stop and drop the weight so you can curl the curl by only using your biceps! Isolate the muscle; don’t abuse the rest of your body trying to lift it!)



· Keep your wrists strong! (Whenever your lift weights you need to keep your wrists in align otherwise you will damage your joints)



· Engage your abs! (If you’re standing up or sitting down always engage your abs to help maintain your posture and to prevent your back from arching)



· Rest! (Whenever you lift weights you need a suitable rest period in-between sets, this gives you chance to catch your breath, have a drink and more importantly lets your muscles return to their normal size ready for the next set)



· Stay hydrated! (it’s better to drink too much than not enough)



· Know your limits! (Leave your ego at the door, don’t try and lift a weight that’s clearly too heavy for you just because the big guy next to you did.)



There is probably loads more I can write about regarding safety etc but I’m presuming that most of you out there have common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment